Monday, November 21, 2011

Board Update

Good Afternoon:

I just want to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!

“Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” -- W.T. Purkiser


SINCE MY LAST SCHOOL BOARD UPDATE

Renewal Levy Passes
I just wanted to thank the North Royalton and Broadview Heights communities for their overwhelming support of the North Royalton City School District’s renewal levy. This support will allow us to move on our path of continued growth and new levels of excellence. The renewal levy passed on November 8th 59% - 41% which is a margin of victory that makes all of us associated with the North Royalton City Schools verry proud and appreciative.

New School Board Members Elected
Also on November 8th voters elected two new school board members and re-elected one current member. Please join me in welcoming our new school board members Barbara Ann Zindroski and Dr. John Kelly who were elected along with current board member, Anne Reinkober. I look forward to working with my new colleagues and getting to work with the new board in January 2012.

Need your Feedback
In December I will be doing a month long online survey to get your feedback on things you like to see the board focus on or issues you are concerned about. Your feedback and comments are extremely helpful so I can effectively represent the needs of you, your family, our community, our taxpayers, and our students. So please start thinking and I will give you the link to my survey next week.

On November 17th the Policy Committee met and reviewed the November Policy Updates.

The School Board met on November 17th for a Board Work Session. The district is starting to plan next year’s school calendar. Superintendent Vittardi updated the board that he is working with private schools in the district to try and coordinate calendars if all possible for transportation purposes and operational costs. Board got an update on the district’s supplemental committee. The board had discussion about doing a pilot program for All Day Kindergarten in the school district. Students would be selected by lottery process and the district would charge an estimated tuition of about $2,500-$2,700. The details are still being worked on and nothing has been finalized yet. Board discussed the positive results of the district’s renewal levy. The Treasurer presented to the board the district’s 5 year Forecast and the board reviewed it. Board also discussed and had a first reading of the November Policy Updates. Board discussed being the host of the next Roundtable Discussion for Schools in Ohio’s 24th Senate District in 2012 on the New School Funding Model and gave the ok. I have been working to get an excellent panel of experts and to once again bring key stakeholders from neighboring districts to provide a unified front on a major issue for next year for public education. Board had brief discussion about 2012 CVCC Appointments. The Board reviewed the November Regular Meeting agenda items, and such other matters that came before the Board. The Board went into executive session for the purpose to discuss the employment of personnel.

School Board Member Langshaw on NPR
Check out Civic Commons Radio’s special broadcast on Cleveland’s NPR station WCPN 90.3 FM that aired on November 18th. It’s called Public Comment periods and Government Bodies: is this microphone working?! (description here http://www.ideastream.org/programs/entry/43640). About 14 minutes into the program you can hear me speaking along with a school board member from Shaker Heights, who were on the discussion panel. If that’s not convenient, you can listen (and download) here http://goo.gl/hCxyw

On November 20th, I held my Monthly Constituent Coffee at the Espresso Pit. I hold these monthly coffees in order to stay in touch with fellow residents and listen to their feedback. There is no appointment necessary. Simply stop by and talk to me. I will keep you posted when my next monthly coffee in December will be.


THIS WEEK IN YOUR SCHOOL BOARD

This week there are various meetings and events.

November Regular School Board Meeting on November 21st at 7pm @ NRHS Community Rm, 14713 Ridge Rd., North Royalton, OH 44133.

Thanksgiving Break—No Classes November 23rd for the North Royalton City School District classes resume again on November 28th.

Weekly E-mail Updates
If you have any friends or neighbors who would like to receive my weekly e-mail updates please let me know and I will be sure to add them to my e-mail list.

Follow me on Twitter or on my Blog
You can follow me on Twitter @Langshaw4board. You can also check out my website at www.danlangshaw.com

My Contact Info
If you ever have any questions or concerns please feel free to give me at call at 440-596-0078 or e-mail me at dan.langshaw@northroyaltonsd.org.

Have a great week!

Dan Langshaw
North Royalton School Board Member
440-596-0078
www.danlangshaw.com

“Putting Students First”

No comments:

Post a Comment